News
Plateau Governor orders proactive aecurity operations after deadly Angwan Rukuba attack
Gunmen dressed in military-style attire and riding motorcycles stormed the Angwan Rukuba community in Jos on Sunday evening, killing 27 residents and leaving many others injured, according to local youth leaders.
Comrade Samson Chiroma, speaking on behalf of the community, described the attackers as moving from house to house and opening sporadic fire, throwing the densely populated area into panic. “Our attackers came on bikes in military-style attire,” he said. Jerry Akims, another youth, added that many initially mistook the gunfire for routine drug enforcement operations before realizing the scale of the assault.
The attack, which occurred around 7:30 p.m., prompted an urgent response from state authorities. Governor Caleb Mutfwang, who visited the scene on Monday, described the killings as “cowardly and utterly senseless” and expressed deep sorrow over the loss of innocent lives. Victims are receiving treatment at Jos University Teaching Hospital, with many reported in stable condition.
Mutfwang directed security agencies to shift from routine peacekeeping to proactive, intelligence-led operations to prevent future attacks. “We are now confronted with an emerging phase of urban terrorism, and this demands a fundamental rethink of our security architecture,” he said. He also disclosed that a suspect involved in spreading inflammatory information had been arrested.
The governor praised the community for its restraint and emphasized the importance of collaboration between government, security agencies, and residents to confront criminal elements. “The time for hesitation is over. We must deploy every available resource to defend our people, protect lives and property, and safeguard the territorial integrity of our state,” he stated.
Deputy Inspector-General of Police in charge of Operations, Umar Shehu Nadada, who visited on the directive of Inspector-General of Police Olatunji Tilwan Disu, said additional personnel, including Police Mobile Force units and intelligence operatives, had been deployed to restore order. Nadada said the visit was part of a fact-finding and operational assessment mission, with plans to engage community leaders and stakeholders to prevent recurrence.
The tragic incident highlights the rising threat of urban terrorism in Plateau State and underscores the urgent need for coordinated security responses to protect civilians.
-
News2 days agoIGP Disu Orders Nationwide Crackdown on Jungle Justice, Says Mob Killers Face Murder Charges
-
News2 days agoNSITF to lead NBA session on expanding legal protections for workers at Port Harcourt Conference
-
Entertainment2 days agoShakira, Burna Boy’s ‘Dai Dai’ Retains No. 1 Spot on Billboard Global 200
-
FCT News2 days agoWike Orders Demolition of Buildings on Abuja Water Channels, Vows to Spare No One
-
National News2 days agoFG Evacuates 83 Nigerians From South Africa Amid Fresh Anti-Immigrant Tensions
-
News17 hours agoAdeleke receives Certificate of Return, announces N500m fund for Osun election violence victims
-
News2 days agoOsun Poll: We Hoped for Different Outcome, But Respect INEC’s Position — Oyebamiji
-
News2 days agoOsun: When Opposition Loses, They Cry Manipulation; When They Win, They Show Off – Wike






