National News
FG Evacuates 83 Nigerians From South Africa Amid Fresh Anti-Immigrant Tensions
The Federal Government has announced the evacuation of another 83 Nigerians from South Africa, with the returnees expected to arrive at the Murtala Mohammed International Airport, Lagos, on Wednesday, August 19, 2026.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs, in a statement on Tuesday, said the returnees would travel aboard South African Airways from Oliver Tambo Airport in Johannesburg.
The flight is scheduled to depart Johannesburg at 3:35pm local time and arrive in Lagos at approximately 8:45pm the same day.
According to the ministry, the latest evacuation was made possible through the intervention and sponsorship of flight tickets by public-spirited private individuals.
The Federal Government expressed appreciation to the sponsors for their support.
Nearly 1,500 Nigerians Repatriated
The latest evacuation comes after the conclusion of the Federal Government’s voluntary repatriation programme, through which nearly 1,490 Nigerians were returned from South Africa amid rising concerns over Afrophobic attacks and anti-foreigner sentiments.
The ministry said the government remained committed to protecting the welfare and dignity of Nigerians at home and abroad under President Bola Tinubu’s administration.
It added that, through its Citizen Diplomacy agenda, Nigerians in the diaspora were regarded as important contributors to national development.
The ministry also urged the organised private sector, corporate organisations, state governments and other Nigerians to support government efforts in responding to consular emergencies.
FG Seeks Action Against Afrophobia
The ministry said Nigeria would continue to deepen diplomatic engagement with South Africa to address the root causes of Afrophobia and prevent violence and discrimination against Nigerians.
It stressed that attacks and discriminatory treatment must be condemned and perpetrators held accountable.
The statement said:
> “The Ministry of Foreign Affairs is pleased to announce that a new batch of 83 Nigerian nationals will arrive at the Murtala Mohammed International Airport, Lagos on Wednesday, August 19, 2026 via South African Airways.”
It added that the returnees were being evacuated through the “kind intervention and sponsorship of tickets by public-spirited private individuals.”
South African Anti-Immigration Group Issues September 30 Deadline
Meanwhile, South Africa’s anti-immigration group, March and March, has announced September 30 as a fresh deadline for undocumented foreigners to leave the country.
The group staged a protest outside the Southern African Development Community summit in Durban on Tuesday, demanding that African leaders take back citizens living in South Africa without legal documentation.
March and March had previously organised nationwide protests on June 30, calling for tougher measures against undocumented immigration.
The group said it would continue its campaign until the South African government addressed its demands.
According to BBC News Pidgin, the group declared:
> “We are announcing the second wave of the 30 June National Day of Action and calling on the heads of state to prepare for the massive deportation of all illegal foreigners from South Africa by 30 September, which will be the mother of all protests.”
Ramaphosa Condemns Treatment of Foreigners
The renewed protests come amid concerns over the treatment of foreign nationals in South Africa.
President Cyril Ramaphosa recently condemned discrimination and violence against citizens of other African countries, acknowledging that some foreigners had suffered mistreatment and been forced to leave the country because of threats of violence.
“We cannot preach integration at a summit like this and practise exclusion on the streets of our countries,” Ramaphosa said.
The 46th Ordinary SADC Summit of Heads of State and Government is being held in Durban, bringing together leaders from the regional bloc’s 16 member states.
The latest protest has intensified the debate over immigration in South Africa and comes as several African countries respond to concerns over the safety and treatment of their nationals.
-
News1 day agoAPM: Osun Election Shows Tinubu Can Lose 2027 Presidency to Makinde
-
Entertainment14 hours agoBBNaija Season 11: Abi Emerges Head of House for Week 4
-
Sports14 hours agoNFF Orders Super Falcons Technical Crew to Step Down
-
Business1 day agoChina Opens 1.4bn Market to Nigerian Aquatic Products
-
News14 hours agoNigerian Arrested in Vietnam With 2kg Crystal Meth, Suspected Heroin
-
News1 day agoWoman found dead in Osogbo church with wrist severed
-
News1 day agoBREAKING: Edo Assembly Speaker Blessing Agbebaku resigns
-
National News14 hours agoHow to apply for Fed. Govt loan to build, buy a house






