National News
268 Nigerians evacuated from South Africa arrive in Lagos as FG continues rescue mission
Another batch of Nigerians evacuated from South Africa amid ongoing anti-migrant violence arrived safely at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos, on Friday, as the Federal Government continued efforts to bring home citizens affected by the unrest.
Minister of Foreign Affairs, Bianca Odumegwu-Ojukwu, disclosed that an Air Peace charter flight conveyed 268 returnees, alongside two officers and crew members, from Johannesburg to Lagos.
According to the minister, the special flight, funded by the Federal Government, departed O.R. Tambo International Airport at 5:36 a.m.
In a statement posted on her X handle, Odumegwu-Ojukwu said President Bola Tinubu had directed that the evacuation exercise should continue despite the expiration of the June 30 ultimatum issued by anti-migrant groups in South Africa.
> “The President and Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, President Bola Ahmed Tinubu GCFR, has directed that the evacuation of Nigerian nationals from South Africa at risk as a result of the ongoing xenophobic protests and attacks continues, even after the deadline of 30th June 2026,” she said.
She noted that three earlier evacuation flights had already brought home nearly 600 Nigerians before the deadline, adding that the exercise remains ongoing for all citizens who voluntarily registered and were duly screened.
> “The evacuations remain ongoing. The Federal Government is committed to bringing home safely our nationals who voluntarily registered to be evacuated and have been duly screened and cleared,” the minister said.
She reaffirmed that protecting Nigerians abroad remains a key priority of the Tinubu administration.
> “Our Ministry of Foreign Affairs, in adherence to that unbreakable bond between citizen and state, remains dedicated to this mandate,” she added, describing the protection of Nigerians overseas as “a central pillar of the Renewed Hope Agenda.”
The evacuation comes as anti-immigrant protests intensified across South Africa, where demonstrators have demanded the departure of undocumented foreign nationals, blaming them for unemployment and pressure on public services.
The latest wave of violence has reportedly claimed at least four lives, while several African countries, including Nigeria, Ghana, Zimbabwe, Malawi and Mozambique, have organised voluntary repatriation for their citizens.
The Federal Government has also indicated plans to engage South African authorities on compensation for businesses and properties abandoned by affected Nigerians.
-
News1 day agoAPM: Osun Election Shows Tinubu Can Lose 2027 Presidency to Makinde
-
Sports16 hours agoNFF Orders Super Falcons Technical Crew to Step Down
-
Entertainment16 hours agoBBNaija Season 11: Abi Emerges Head of House for Week 4
-
News1 day agoWoman found dead in Osogbo church with wrist severed
-
Business1 day agoChina Opens 1.4bn Market to Nigerian Aquatic Products
-
News16 hours agoNigerian Arrested in Vietnam With 2kg Crystal Meth, Suspected Heroin
-
National News15 hours agoHow to apply for Fed. Govt loan to build, buy a house
-
News1 day agoBREAKING: Edo Assembly Speaker Blessing Agbebaku resigns






