News
Gbajabiamila says he nearly lost Chief of Staff job over Lagos Assembly crisis involving Desmond Elliot
The Chief of Staff to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, Femi Gbajabiamila, has revealed that he almost lost his position over the political crisis that rocked the Lagos State House of Assembly during the speakership tussle involving Mudashiru Obasa.
Gbajabiamila made the disclosure on Thursday at a constituency stakeholders’ meeting in Lagos, where he addressed the controversy surrounding actor-turned-lawmaker Desmond Elliot.
According to him, President Tinubu summoned him at the height of the crisis and questioned allegations linking Elliot to efforts aimed at destabilising the Lagos Assembly.
“I almost lost my job because of Desmond Elliot last year. You can go and verify. The President invited him to his residence in Abuja during the Obasa saga and confronted him over reports linking Elliot to the crisis,” Gbajabiamila said.
He explained that the President specifically asked him about Elliot’s alleged involvement in the matter.
“Mr President called me to his study in Abuja and said, ‘I hear this Desmond is your boy.’ I said, ‘Yes, sir.’ He then said Desmond was among those causing problems in the Lagos State House of Assembly,” he added.
Gbajabiamila said he defended the Surulere lawmaker, insisting Elliot was not part of those allegedly involved in the political plot.
“I told the President that Desmond was not part of them, but the President insisted and told me to call him to order,” he stated.
The former Speaker of the House of Representatives further disclosed that he later contacted Elliot and warned him to distance himself from the crisis if he had any involvement.
However, he said the situation escalated shortly after, as reports allegedly linked his own name to the controversy.
“Three days later, the Director-General called me and said there was a serious issue, that my name was everywhere as the person supporting Desmond to push for impeachment,” he said.
Gbajabiamila added that he instructed Elliot to publicly clarify his position, but said the lawmaker did not do so.
“I told Desmond to go and make a public statement that he was not part of them, but till today he has not done that,” he stated.
He concluded that his relationship with President Tinubu ultimately helped him retain his position as Chief of Staff despite the political storm.
-
News2 days agoAdeleke receives Certificate of Return, announces N500m fund for Osun election violence victims
-
FCT News2 days agoWike Orders Immediate Closure of Illegal Car Lots on Abuja Green Areas
-
News2 days agoGun battle erupts as hoodlums clash with Adeleke’s security team in Osogbo
-
News2 days agoFayose: Atiku Is Too Old to Contest 2027 Election, Says Former Ekiti Governor
-
National News2 days agoReps Minority caucus mobilise opposition to present common candidate for 2027 election
-
News2 days agoBille gas crisis deepens as CSOs, residents demand emergency response
-
Entertainment2 days agoBREAKING: Davido Was Target of Gun Attack on Adeleke’s Convoy — Osun Police
-
News24 hours agoDSS Arrests Suspected Impersonator Wearing Fake Tactical Uniform in Abuja






