News
Violence breaks out at APC Ondo secretariat, Chairman assaulted
Chaos erupted at the Ondo State Secretariat of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Akure on Tuesday as party stakeholders were forced to flee following an alleged attack on the State Caretaker Chairman, Ade Adetimehin.
Eyewitnesses reported that armed assailants stormed the premises wielding sticks, machetes, and other weapons, prompting the abrupt cancellation of the meeting convened for party leaders after the arrival of a Congress and Appeal Committee from the APC national secretariat.
Adetimehin claimed the attackers acted on the directive of the state governor and specifically accused the National Union of Road Transport Workers (NURTW), led by Ademilua Odudu, of violently disrupting the gathering. “They pushed me down, beat me mercilessly and stole my phone. I have reported the matter to the Commissioner of Police,” he told journalists.
According to Adetimehin, the meeting had been agreed upon after consultations involving the Special Adviser to the Governor on Political Matters, Kolawole Babatunde, and a prior briefing from the governor. “Yesterday, the national secretariat sent a congress and appeal committee. We all agreed that a stakeholders’ meeting would hold today. But this morning, the NURTW chairman and his men invaded the secretariat and disrupted everything,” he said.
The APC in Ondo, through its Director of Media and Publicity, Steve Otaloro, described the incident as an isolated internal misunderstanding aggravated by unscrupulous elements and dismissed claims linking the violence to the forthcoming congress. The party also commended Lucky Aiyedatiwa for directing security operatives to restore order, allowing normal activities to resume.
Police confirmed their prompt response to a distress call, with officers deployed to the secretariat along Ilesha Garage Road.
The Commissioner of Police has assigned tactical teams to secure the premises while investigations continue. One person reportedly sustained injuries and was taken to a nearby hospital for treatment.
The party reiterated its commitment to internal democracy and a peaceful congress process, assuring members and the public that measures are being taken to prevent future disruptions.

-
National News2 days agoSultan announces Ramadan Moon sighting dates for 2026
-
News1 day agoSen. Natasha Akpoti storms colleague’s office over committee membership dispute
-
Entertainment2 days agoPolice investigates mysterious death of Two Nollywood crew in Lagos
-
News1 day agoCourt sets February 24 to hear suit seeking deregistration of ADC, three other parties
-
News1 day ago14 Wedding guests perish in Abia road crash
-
Sports2 days agoTop Nigerian sprinter Favour Ashe switches allegiance to Qatar
-
News1 day agoNAWOJ backs Women’s march for Special Seats Bill at National Assembly
-
News1 day agoUK announces shift to digital-only visit visas for Nigerians from Feb. 2026



