News
ADC defies INEC, insists on holding congresses, convention amid leadership crisis
The African Democratic Congress (ADC) has declared it will proceed with its planned congresses and national convention despite the stance of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) on the party’s leadership dispute.
Speaking on Arise TV on Thursday, the party’s National Publicity Secretary, Bolaji Abdullahi, said the ADC had already fulfilled the legal requirement by notifying INEC ahead of the scheduled activities.
“We have given INEC 21 days’ notice. They have accepted the notice. So whether they come or not, we’ll continue with our congresses. And we will go on with our convention,” he stated.
INEC had earlier announced it would no longer recognise factions of the party led by David Mark and Nafiu Bala, following its review of a Court of Appeal judgment on the ongoing leadership tussle.
Reacting, Abdullahi alleged that the commission’s position was influenced by pressure from the federal government, claiming there were moves to weaken opposition parties ahead of the 2027 general elections.
He further criticised INEC’s proposed voter revalidation exercise, describing it as poorly timed and capable of causing confusion within the electoral system.
“Getting people to register to vote is difficult enough. Asking every single person that has a voter card to go back to their polling units to revalidate those cards a few months to the election is just plain anarchy,” he said.
Abdullahi also accused the electoral body of creating unnecessary tension, warning that recent developments raise concerns about the state of Nigeria’s democracy.
“When we keep saying that there’s a plan to make President Bola Ahmed Tinubu the only candidate on the ballot in 2027, people think we’re being hysteric,” he added.
The ADC spokesperson urged Nigerians to remain vigilant and pay close attention to unfolding political developments as the country moves closer to the next general elections.
-
News1 day agoBetara secures APC return ticket unopposed for Biu/Bayo/Kwaya Kusar/Shani Federal Constituency
-
NUJ FCT2 days agoNUJ FCT, Nizamiye Hospital provide free medical checks for journalists as journalists kick off press week
-
News2 days agoAkin Rotimi wins APC Reps Primary in Ekiti North I, defeats Bimbo Daramola
-
Business5 hours ago63.3% of Nigerians want interest rate cuts — CBN Survey
-
News5 hours agoUS, Nigeria launch fresh joint airstrikes on ISIS in Northeast Nigeria
-
News1 day agoNdudi Elumelu wins APC Reps primary for Aniocha/Oshimili constituency
-
News1 day agoEmpirical Magazine editor Livinus Victor commends NUJ FCT leadership For Journalists’ welfare, healthcare initiatives
-
News6 hours agoCourt grants El-Rufai N100m bail in alleged national security breach case








