Sports
CAF to hold Africa Cup of Nations every four years from 2032
The Confederation of African Football (CAF) has announced that the Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) will shift to a four-year cycle, starting after the 2028 edition.
CAF President Patrice Motsepe disclosed the change at a press conference in Morocco on Saturday, following the executive committee meeting on the eve of AFCON 2025. Under the new arrangement, the 2032 tournament will be the first AFCON held after a four-year gap, aligning the competition with the European Championships.
AFCON has traditionally been held every two years since 1968, but the biennial schedule often clashed with European club commitments, with many clubs reluctant to release their star players. FIFA had previously proposed a four-year cycle to ease the impact on clubs, though CAF initially resisted the idea. Motsepe explained that the adjustment would bring African football in line with the global calendar.
“We have the most exciting new structure for African football,” Motsepe said. “I do what is in the interests of Africa. The global calendar has to be significantly more synchronised and harmonised.”
In addition, CAF will launch the African Nations League in 2029, introducing an annual competition for the continent’s 54 nations. Motsepe highlighted that while AFCON remains the primary revenue generator for CAF, the Nations League will create a steady new income stream.
“Every year in Africa, the best African players who play in Europe will be with us on the continent,” he said. “We are going to have a world-class competition every year.”
The CAF executive committee also announced an increase in the AFCON prize money for the winners, from $7 million to $10 million.
-
News2 days agoEFCC arrests ex-Power Minister Saleh Mamman after conviction over ₦33bn fraud
-
NUJ FCT1 day agoNUJ honours AIG Moshood Jimoh as Crime Fighter of the Year
-
News2 days ago2027 Elections: Elumelu, NUJ FCT urge media to combat disinformation, defend democracy
-
Sports2 days agoArsenal end 22-year wait as Man City draw hands Gunners Premier League title
-
News1 day agoSam Egwu-Led committee clears Peter Obi for NDC presidential race
-
News22 hours agoPDP picks Sanusi Bala Turaki as consensus candidate for Zamfara Central
-
News18 hours agoBREAKING: Gov Fubara withdraws from APC governorship primaries
-
News2 days agoJoint US–Nigeria airstrikes kill 175 ISIS fighters in Northeast Nigeria – DHQ








