News
New Year: Akpabio withdraws defamation suits against critics
The President of the Senate, Senator Godswill Akpabio, has directed his lawyers to withdraw all ongoing defamation lawsuits he instituted against several individuals, saying he was moved by a message delivered during a New Year Mass.
Akpabio made the announcement on Thursday while speaking at the Sacred Heart Parish in Uyo, Akwa Ibom State.
According to him, he had filed nearly nine court cases against individuals he accused of defaming him, lying against him and damaging his reputation.
“I had almost nine cases in court against some individuals who defamed me, who lied against me, who slandered my name,” he said.
“But I listened to the priest and suddenly realised he was talking to me, so I hereby direct my solicitor to withdraw all lawsuits against them.”
In 2025, Akpabio filed several high-profile defamation suits, including one against fellow lawmaker Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan.
Late in the year, the Senate President instituted a N200 billion defamation lawsuit against Akpoti-Uduaghan over allegations of sexual harassment, which he denied and challenged her to prove in court.
Earlier in the year, Akpabio’s wife also filed defamation suits against the senator over claims she said damaged the family’s reputation.
The relationship between both lawmakers deteriorated after Akpoti-Uduaghan accused Akpabio of influencing her suspension from the Senate in March 2025, following her public allegations of misconduct.

Akpoti-Uduaghan had also approached the court with a N100 billion defamation suit against Akpabio and other defendants over alleged remarks she said harmed her reputation.
With the latest decision, Akpabio has brought an end to all pending defamation-related litigations, marking a symbolic closure to the legal disputes as the new year begins.
-
National News2 days agoAnxiety rocks Federal Civil Service over salary cuts, unpaid arrears
-
Sports2 days agoNFF set to review Chelle’s backroom staff after AFCON Bronze
-
News2 days agoSafety First: Transcorp Hilton Abuja stages fire drill
-
National News2 days agoElectoral Act: E-Transmission supportive, not substitutive — Tinubu
-
News2 days agoICPC detains El-Rufai amid ongoing probe
-
News2 days agoGunmen abduct, kill Ondo Monarch in Palace attack
-
News2 days agoBREAKING: Rivers Assembly halts impeachment of Gov. Fubara, Deputy Odu
-
NUJ FCT2 days agoNUJ FCT, NDPC seal data shield pact to fortify Journalists against cyber threats



