News
ADC raises alarm over INEC stance, warns of possible exclusion from 2027 elections
The African Democratic Congress (ADC) has raised concerns that recent actions by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) could jeopardise its participation in the 2027 general elections.
The party warned that INEC’s refusal to receive its official correspondence may hinder its ability to fulfil critical legal requirements, potentially preventing it from fielding candidates.
In a statement issued by its National Publicity Secretary, Bolaji Abdullahi, the ADC said the electoral body’s stance has made it difficult to meet statutory obligations, including notice periods and submission deadlines ahead of the May 10 cut-off date.
The party argued that INEC’s position is inconsistent with its previous engagements, noting that the commission had earlier recognised its leadership and interacted with it officially.
According to the ADC, documentary evidence — including certified INEC records, attendance logs, monitoring reports, and extracts from the commission’s sworn affidavit — supports its claims of prior recognition.
It added that INEC was formally notified of its National Executive Committee (NEC) meeting held on July 29, 2025, which the commission reportedly attended, and subsequently updated its records to reflect a leadership structure led by David Mark as National Chairman and Rauf Aregbesola as National Secretary.
Describing these as verifiable facts, the party said it was contradictory for INEC to now decline all correspondence pending the outcome of an ongoing case before the Federal High Court.
The ADC noted that the Electoral Act prescribes strict timelines, including a 21-day notice requirement for party activities, warning that the commission’s refusal to accept its communications could create what it termed “artificial non-compliance.”
It cautioned that unless the court delivers a ruling on its leadership dispute before the May 10 deadline, the party may be unable to meet legal requirements necessary to present candidates.
“This situation effectively leaves us with no viable options and may be used as grounds to exclude us from the electoral process,” the statement implied.
The party called on INEC to reconsider its position, resume accepting its correspondence, and ensure a level playing field for all political parties in line with its constitutional mandate.
Meanwhile, the leadership crisis within the ADC deepened after INEC withdrew recognition of the faction led by David Mark, citing compliance with a subsisting court judgment and the need to uphold neutrality.
The commission said it adopted a status quo ante bellum position due to conflicting claims and ongoing litigation, leaving the party without formal recognition.
However, the ADC rejected the decision, accusing INEC of bias and undue interference in its internal affairs, while warning that the development could undermine internal democracy and Nigeria’s broader electoral process.
-
Sports6 hours agoBrighton Thrash 10-Man Aston Villa 4-0 in Premier League Opener
-
Metro6 hours agoNDLEA arrests 101-Year-Old Woman With 90g Cannabis in Ogun
-
Entertainment6 hours agoBREAKING: Veteran Actor Taiwo Hassan ‘Ogogo’ Dies After Battle With Illness
-
News6 hours agoEbonyi LG Poll: APC Sweeps All 13 Chairmanship, 171 Councillorship Seats
-
News8 hours agoGov. Otu assures SPAR fire victims of government support
-
News16 hours agoUK varsity honours John Friday with Honorary Doctorate Degree in Journalism and Media
-
News3 hours agoKatsina Pays Mothers N1,000 for Every Infant Immunisation Visit






