News
Sam Egwu-Led committee clears Peter Obi for NDC presidential race
Former Labour Party presidential candidate, Peter Obi, has been cleared to participate in the presidential primary of the Nigeria Democratic Congress (NDC) ahead of the 2027 general election.
The chairman of the party’s National Screening Committee, former Ebonyi State governor Sam Egwu, announced Obi’s clearance in a video shared on the party’s official X account on Wednesday.
The screening exercise was held in Abuja on Tuesday, where the committee reviewed Obi’s eligibility to contest the presidency under the party’s constitution and relevant electoral laws.
Egwu said the committee was satisfied that the former Anambra State governor met all constitutional and statutory requirements needed to participate in the presidential primary.
“This is to certify that, following the screening of His Excellency Peter Obi by the National Screening Committee of the Nigeria Democratic Congress, and having satisfied ourselves that he has complied with all the requirements of the constitution of the party, the Electoral Act, and the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999 (as amended), dealing with eligibility to contest the presidential election, and having provided satisfactory answers to all questions put to him by members of the committee, he is hereby cleared to contest in the presidential primaries of the party for the 2027 presidential election on dates to be announced by the party,” Egwu stated.
Reacting through his official X account, Obi disclosed that the screening session lasted more than two and a half hours, during which party officials scrutinised his credentials and questioned him on his plans for the country.
“Yesterday, May 19, in Abuja, I attended the presidential screening organised by our party, which took over two and a half hours. They carefully reviewed all my documents, including my degree certificates, NYSC credentials, and age declarations.
“During the process, I also addressed questions regarding my vision for a new Nigeria and the type of leadership our nation urgently needs right now.
“Following this, I was cleared and received the presidential nomination form I had previously paid for,” Obi said.
The former Anambra governor also commended the screening committee and the leadership of the party for conducting what he described as a transparent and credible exercise.
“I would like to commend the screening committee, led by former governor Sam Egwu, for their thorough and professional approach. Additionally, I appreciate our party’s leadership for upholding the democratic process,” he added.
-
News2 days agoJury begins deliberation in Diezani Alison-Madueke’s London bribery trial
-
News24 hours agoAbuja businessman allegedly stabbed to death by NYSC son after heated argument
-
National News2 days agoTinubu condemns killing of abducted Oyo Teacher, orders fresh rescue push
-
News24 hours agoNDC appoints Sam Egwu to head 17-Member screening committee for 2027 aspirants
-
News18 hours agoEFCC arrests ex-Power Minister Saleh Mamman after conviction over ₦33bn fraud
-
Entertainment24 hours agoSandra Edoho accuses ex-Husband Frank Edoho of infidelity, abuse amid Chike controversy
-
News18 hours ago2027 Elections: Elumelu, NUJ FCT urge media to combat disinformation, defend democracy
-
News2 days agoOrji Kalu wins APC ticket for Abia North Senatorial election








