Connect with us

News

EFCC arrests ex-Power Minister Saleh Mamman after conviction over ₦33bn fraud

Published

on

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) says it has arrested former Minister of Power, Saleh Mamman, days after he was sentenced in absentia over the alleged diversion of more than ₦33 billion linked to the Mambilla power project and other electricity schemes.

EFCC Chairman, Ola Olukoyede, disclosed during a media briefing in Abuja on Tuesday that Mamman was arrested around 3:30 a.m. in Kaduna following intensified intelligence and surveillance operations by the commission.

According to Olukoyede, the former minister had earlier been convicted on all 12 counts filed against him in connection with alleged fraud involving funds meant for the Mambilla and other power projects.

“About 14 or 15 months down the line, specifically on the 7th of this month, we secured conviction on all 12 counts,” Olukoyede said.

He explained that sentencing was initially delayed because Mamman was absent from court before he was eventually sentenced in absentia on May 13, 2026.

Olukoyede described the arrest as proof of the Federal Government’s determination to fight corruption and ensure that public officials accused of looting public resources are brought to justice.

“This is a testament to the commitment of the Federal Government of Nigeria to the fight against corruption and an assurance to Nigerians that anyone who has looted government and national resources will not go unpunished,” he stated.

The EFCC chairman also confirmed that the former minister is currently in the commission’s custody pending transfer to a correctional facility.

He further revealed that two other persons were arrested during the operation, alleging that investigators believed the ex-minister had been shielded while evading arrest.

“We discovered that he was actually being protected. At the location where we effected the arrest, we arrested two other Nigerians, including individuals linked to the property where he was found,” he said.

According to the EFCC, additional properties suspected to belong to Mamman have also been uncovered and may become part of ongoing recovery proceedings.

Olukoyede added that the commission would review its processes in handling high-profile corruption cases to prevent suspects from fleeing while standing trial.

Meanwhile, Director of Public Prosecution, Rotimi Oyedepo (SAN), who prosecuted the case, said the court had directed all security agencies to arrest Mamman wherever he was found.

He noted that the arrest showed the judgment against the former minister was not merely symbolic, stressing that the legal process was now being enforced.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


 

 

Trending

                           
       

Copyright © 2025 || NUJ FCT Council