News
NSCIA urges Trump to support Nigeria against terrorism, rejects US “Country of Concern” tag
The Nigerian Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs (NSCIA) has called on U.S. President Donald Trump to work with Nigeria in combating terrorism through intelligence sharing, logistical support, and technical collaboration, rather than unilateral actions.
Speaking at a news conference in Abuja on Sunday, NSCIA Secretary General, Prof. Ishaq Oloyede, condemned Washington’s recent decision to designate Nigeria as a “Country of Particular Concern.” He warned that any attempt to interfere in Nigeria’s sovereign affairs would be unacceptable.
Oloyede recalled that the designation had been lifted in 2023 by the previous U.S. administration, which recognized the complexity of Nigeria’s security challenges. He described the re-imposition as politically motivated, likening it to similar designations imposed on China and Russia.
“The decision was not based on new facts but rather driven by political lobbyists, undermining the real meaning of religious freedom,” he said. “Genuine friendship requires collaboration, intelligence sharing, and technical support—not exploiting Nigeria’s security issues for political gain.”
He stressed that Nigeria remains a sovereign nation capable of defending itself and rejected claims framing the conflict as government-led genocide. “Selective protection of one religious group will only deepen mistrust and misrepresent intentions,” he added.
On Sharia law, Oloyede emphasized that Nigeria recognizes three legal systems—common law, Sharia law, and customary law—and warned against external interference in the country’s legal frameworks. He added that the true challenges facing Nigerians are poverty, climate change, and criminality, not religious persecution.
The NSCIA commended the Nigerian government for engaging the U.S. and other partners with dignity in the fight against terrorism, urging global actors to provide genuine support through cooperation rather than unilateral measures.
Oloyede concluded by appealing to Trump to retract the “disgraced country” remark and instead offer credible assistance that strengthens Nigeria’s security infrastructure.
-
News2 days agoAdeleke receives Certificate of Return, announces N500m fund for Osun election violence victims
-
News2 days agoGun battle erupts as hoodlums clash with Adeleke’s security team in Osogbo
-
National News2 days agoReps Minority caucus mobilise opposition to present common candidate for 2027 election
-
News2 days agoBille gas crisis deepens as CSOs, residents demand emergency response
-
Entertainment2 days agoBREAKING: Davido Was Target of Gun Attack on Adeleke’s Convoy — Osun Police
-
News1 day agoDSS Arrests Suspected Impersonator Wearing Fake Tactical Uniform in Abuja
-
News1 day agoBlocked Drains Worsened Abuja Flash Flood – FG Says
-
News1 day ago83 Nigerians Repatriated From South Africa, Return to Lagos






