News
Wike votes in Rivers LG Elections, says process peaceful

The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, cast his vote on Saturday in the Rivers State local government elections, describing the process as peaceful despite concerns over the absence of the Bimodal Voter Accreditation System (BVAS).
Wike, who served as Rivers State governor from 2015 to 2023, voted around 11:15 a.m. at Ward 9, Unit 007, Rumuepirikom, Obio/Akpor Local Government Area, where he previously served two terms as council chairman beginning in 1999.
Speaking after voting, Wike commended the conduct of the election, dismissing fears of voter apathy and irregularities. “I am very happy. It means that people identify with the election,” he said while surrounded by supporters and his media aide, Lere Olayinka. “You have not heard of any violence. You have not heard of carrying ballot boxes. You see that the electoral materials are there. People are there casting their votes. As far as we are concerned, the election is very peaceful.”
He acknowledged low voter turnout but expressed confidence that participation would improve before the close of polls. Wike also maintained that the lack of BVAS would not undermine the credibility of the process.
The polls are being held amid political tensions in the state following a rift between Wike and his successor, Governor Siminalayi Fubara. The crisis prompted President Bola Tinubu to declare a six-month state of emergency in March, suspending Fubara, his deputy Ngozi Odu, and members of the state assembly while appointing Vice Admiral Ibok-Ete Ibas (rtd.) as sole administrator.
Many Nigerians have questioned the legality of Tinubu’s intervention, but Wike believes the successful conduct of the elections clears the way for the emergency rule to be lifted.
“So having done this, then the coast is clear for the state of emergency to be lifted, meaning that the local government has representatives, the state government has its own elected representatives, so we are good to go,” he stated.
-
News2 days ago
Ebonyi Gov’t raises minimum wage to ₦90,000, approves Virology Research Centre
-
NUJ FCT2 days ago
NUJ FCT Council condemns harassment, intimidation of Journalist by MD of Nigerian Railway Corporation, demands immediate public apology
-
News2 days ago
Bala Mohammed insists PDP needs Southern Christian Candidate for 2027
-
News2 days ago
NNPC under attack amid ongoing reforms, says GCEO, Ojulari
-
Sports2 days ago
Sinner cruises past Popyrin to reach US Open Third Round
-
Sports2 days ago
Fenerbahce fires manager Jose Mourinho
-
World News2 days ago
UK bars Israeli Govt delegation from London Arms Fair amid Gaza War tensions
-
News2 days ago
NUJ condemns arrest, harassment of Journalist Azuka Ogujiuba